Saturday 6 December 2014

A New Perspective: The White Cliffs of Dover

As a child in America I had definitely learned about World War I and World War II. I love history, but never enjoyed learning about wars. Details like dates and names of battles had little meaning for me and were learned for an exam, then quickly forgotten. These two wars happened before I was born, in lands far away from where I was growing up. My perceptions were that some really awful things happened, but that, in both wars the "right" side won. Living in England we have learned a lot more about these two wars. Over here they are not something that happened a long time ago in a far away place. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI here in Britain. What better time to explore some of that history?!

In May, Scott and I took a weekend trip to Dover. Pretty much everyone has heard of the white cliffs of Dover, and they were beautiful to be sure. What I didn't realize was that those white cliffs were an integral part of Britain's defenses. Hidden in those white cliffs are tunnels used by the military to house soldiers, munitions, operations, and even a hospital!






These "caves" were hollowed out of the cliffs and were a strategic
piece in the defense of Britain.

A walking trail along the top of the cliffs.

Dover Castle




The waterfront in Dover with the Castle.





No comments:

Post a Comment