Wednesday 21 March 2012

Hi Ya'!

"Hi Ya!" is the Brits way of saying "Hi!" or "Hello!". Every time we enter a shop or restaurant we are greeted by a merry "Hi Ya!" (accent on the "Hi"). As anyone who has been in England can tell you, British English and American English are similar, but definitely not the same. In this part of England things are even more complicated by a large segment of people who are from Scotland. That sort of English is even more difficult to understand. Since we arrived last week I have found myself translating the British/Scottish English into my American English almost non-stop when I am out. In the past two days, however, the tides have turned. I now am finding it unnecessary to translate the English around me. On top of that, I can hear them in my head...as in when I'm thinking now, I'm thinking in British English. Family will know what that means.....It won't be long and the British English will come flowing out of my mouth as if I've lived here all of my life. When we lived in Mississippi I developed a thick Southern accent, so much so that no one ever suspected that I wasn't born and raised in Vicksburg. Scott, on the other hand, was always pegged as a "yankee" despite spending his childhood in Maryland. Even after living away from the deep south for 30 years a weekend visiting relatives in N. Carolina is all it takes for the "southern" to return to my voice. My NJ and PA friends will tell you that I had picked up the "Trenton" accent while we lived in New Jersey, which really is not a good thing. I promise you it's not something I try to do, it just seems to happen. I think maybe it's because of my speech pathology training: I can hear all of the little variations in vowels and consonants. Or maybe it's my hidden talent. Regardless, don't be surprised if the next time I talk to you out comes "Hi Ya!" in a funny, slightly British, American accent. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes I've heard that "Trenton!" So excited to be reading your adventures. Everyone has been asking how you are and send you well wishes. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete