Friday 30 March 2012

What a week!

This has been a bit of an odd week for me. It began with the postponement of the driving lesson I was to have had on Monday. That was rescheduled for Wednesday. I can say that I'm very thankful to have had a driving lesson, but I'm really quite uneasy about driving here. It's not just that the steering wheel is on the other side of the car and that we drive on the other side of the road here. The signs are different, the roads are narrow, and nearly every intersection is a roundabout (traffic circle). About 2 hours into my lesson I began to wonder how it goes for Americans who get off a plane in Manchester or London and get into a rental car and drive away. Do they get in a lot of accidents, or do they just cause a lot of accidents? I drove around the countryside for about 3 hours and then parked my car here at the apartments. That was Wednesday and it hasn't moved since. I suspect one day next week I will want to go somewhere and I will work up the courage to take it out on the roads again. Maybe to go shopping ;-)!
Thursday I had a tour of the area and looked at a couple of houses that are available to rent. Our flat is a very nice 2 bedroom flat, but it only has one bathroom and that's not enough when we have guests. After looking at all of the little towns and available homes in the area we have decided to take the flat above ours, which is 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, and generally larger than this flat. We both love being in the town and the view of the harbour and Irish Sea are wonderful.
Tonight we are travelling! We are headed to Edinburgh, Scotland when Scott gets home from work. We are going to catch the train in Carlisle, about 45 to 50 minute drive from here. The train ride itself is only about an hour and fifteen minutes and the station is in down town Edinburgh. I have a list of places I want to see including the Edinburgh Castle and The Palace of Holyroodhouse, which is an official residence of the Queen and was the home of Mary Queen of Scots. There seems to be plenty to do and see, and the sun is supposed to be out although this weekend the weather is supposed to turn colder. We are looking forward to a fun weekend. I'll post pictures next week :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment